Every new year brings new trends. So I guess it’s time to break out my magic 8 ball and share some expertise in design and home interiors. Now I can’t forecast the future exactly, but keep reading for 7 of my predictions to watch in 2014…
1. Kitchen makeovers are a hot topic and many designers are opting to up the glamour in 2014 with jeweled color palettes and raw metal finishes. Eco-friendly cabinetry, quartz countertops and open shelving are also going to heat up the kitchen this year too, so preset those ovens for a dramatic shift.
2. Lighter wood tones are making a comeback from last year’s rather dark ages. Honey-colored wood furniture easily give any room in the house a fresh feel. Try incorporating materials like walnut, cherry, and oak into your home decor to brighten things up a bit.
EMHE Design photo
3. Geometric and graphic wallpaper is on the list of 2014 trends and I couldn’t be more excited. Honeycomb hexagons and other sharp-edged patterns and shapes have always inspired my work, especially my fabrics. Strong shapes in bold colors are bringing back that vintage style I’ve always loved. Throwback!
4. Faux fur furniture and animal printed accents will be running wild in 2014. Similar to fashion, leopard spots and zebra stripes never really go out of style, unless it’s done in copious amounts. I like animal prints in small decor doses – ottomans, chairs, pillows, rugs – it’s tasteful and doesn’t run the risk of overkill.
5. Speaking of patterns and prints, tribal and Suzani textiles have made their way across the globe and into trending home design. People are saying it’s masculine and handsome… kind of like me. Ha! Finally, menswear patterns like herringbone, flannel and pinstripe are gaining attention beyond men’s clothing.
6. Turquoise will takeover and other bold colors are going to make a name for themselves in home interiors this year. Cobalt blue, emerald green, and eccentric shades are bringing in the pop of color, so I’m curious, what’s your favorite?
7. Asian inspired furniture and art accessories have slowly made their way into homes and 2014 is no exception. I’m all about different design from countries and cultures across the globe, so stay tuned for a design series I’ll be launching next month here on my site.
Do you have any design predictions for 2014? Share your favorite trends in the comments below.