Happy Memorial Day! I’m sure everybody is excited for the long weekend off from work and school, but keep in mind the reason we have this day off…
Today is a great time to stop and commemorate the brave people who’ve sacrificed their lives for our freedom and our country. Parades, picnics and BBQs are all fun activities to celebrate the holiday, but there are a few other things you can do to support the troops and show your appreciation.
Here are some of my ideas, but if you have others, leave them in the comments!
1. Play some military tunes at your BBQ/party. If you have a guitar, trumpet, harmonica, etc. try to perform and impress your friends and families. For some song ideas check out Bands.Army.Mil.
2. Bring homemade desserts and snacks to V.A. hospitals and military bases.
Cool recipe on Life Tastes Like Food
3. Plant some poppies or give a bouquet to a military family. Did you know poppies are the flowers for remembrance? It was inspired by LT Colonel John McCrae’s poem from WWI “In Flanders Fields”. Fun fact!
4. Schedule a moment of silence into your celebrations. 3pm local time!
5. Send a care package, a letter or donate to a special organization if you can.
PS. Have fun, relax, and celebrate because summer is FINALLY here!
Photo Source: Wikipedia